Position Name : Director, Engineering Lead for Process Equipment Design and C&Q
Site/Department : Toronto, CA / Global Engineering and Maintenance
Sanofi is dedicated to supporting people through their health challenges. We are a global biopharmaceutical company focused on human health. We prevent illness with vaccines, provide innovative treatments to fight pain and ease suffering. We stand by the few who suffer from rare diseases and the millions with long-term chronic conditions. With more than 100,000 people in 100 countries, Sanofi is transforming scientific innovation into healthcare solutions around the globe.
Sanofi entities in Canada include the Diabetes and Cardiovascular Care Business Unit, the General Medicines and Established Products Business Unit, Sanofi Pasteur (vaccines), Sanofi Genzyme (specialty care) and Sanofi Consumer Health. Together they employ close to 1,900 people. In 2015 Sanofi companies invested $133.3 million in R&D in Canada, creating jobs, business and opportunity throughout the country.
Under the guidelines of Global Engineering & Maintenance Capital Project management and in accordance with Sanofi Pasteur Industrial Affairs (IA) safety, quality/performance, schedule and costs objectives - the mission of the Director, Engineering Lead for Process Equipment Design and C&Q is to manage all aspects of design, FAT, installation, SAT, C&Q, up to product dependent PQ (QPnPD) for all process and clean utilities equipment and DCS automation system (DeltaV) for a currently approved and active major CapEx investment with project budget of more than $500M CAD, utilizing innovative industry standards for C&Q and collaborative work ethic with other key Project functions such as Operations, Manufacturing Technology (MTech), Quality, Maintenance, Safety, etc.
- Deliver up to QPnPD for process and clean utilities equipment and automation systems for an approved major CapEx project in accordance with safety, quality/performance, schedule and costs objectives
- Work in collaborative manner with other key Project functions such as Operations, Manufacturing Technology (MTech), Quality, Maintenance, Safety, etc.
- Manage project in accordance with Good Engineering Practices and lead Project through QPnPD and remain engaged in project up to full commercial operation
- Introduce innovative and industry proven C&Q practices
- Manage all engineering tasks related to process equipment Design, Fabrication and Commissioning & Qualification
- Manage a matrix team of technical the engineers include process, automation, C&Q, etc (internal & external)
- Manage design engineering subcontractors and equipment vendors
- Request and involve support effort from support groups on critical issues identified through risk analysis
- Report Project progress/Project performance/team performance and associated indicators
- Use Good Engineering Practices and lean methodologies to define and execute projects
- Collaborate with Global and Site functions to develop robust overall schedule which include design, fabrication, commissioning, installation, operational and Non Product Dependent performance qualification
- Work effectively within cross-functional project team reporting to the end to end Project Leader
Scope and dimensions
Breadth of responsibility (global/regional/country/site):
- Project is based at Toronto, Ontario, Canada Sanofi Pasteur site
Key dimensions: headcount (direct and indirect) budget, doses, Capex… - Key indicators on which the job holder will be evaluated (WHAT in 9box):
- Managemnet of a multi-hundred million dollar major CapEx project (greater than $250M)
- Management of team of technical engineers in matrix structure
- Deliver on schedule and budget
- Work with whole Project team
Freedom to act, level of autonomy:
- Lead for equipment design and C&Q, but with collaboration and intigration with other key Project members
- Responsibility to report risk and difficulties, and request support
Education and experience
- Degree(s) in Chemical, Mechanical, Bio-chemical engineering
- 15+ years engineering experience in biotechnology induscty (vaccines or biopharmaceuticals)
- Strong experience in C&Q phase of project execution
- 10+ years leadership experience
- 10+ years in Capital Project Management
- Occupational health and safety, construction and industry regulation knowledge
- Stong cGMP knowledge
Key technical competencies and soft skills:
- Direct experience in biotechnology induscty (vaccines or biopharmaceuticals)
- Collaborative work ethic to synergize with other key Project team members
- Strong experience in C&Q phase of project execution
- Excellent verbal and written skills, a proven history of experience in Project Management for Equipment and C&Q Execution on large, multi-year projects large CapEx Projects
- Working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices
- Working knowledge of Good Engineering Practices
- Leadership of Engineering Technical Team
- Think Strategically / Act for Change / Commit to Customers
- Cooperate Transversally /Strive for Results / Lead Teams / Make Decision / Develop People
Sanofi is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations for persons with disabilities required during the recruitment process are available upon request.
Thank you in advance for your interest.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Follow Sanofi Canada on Twitter: @SanofiCanada and on YouTube: youtube.com/user/sanoficanada
Sanofi, Empowering Life
Applications received after the official close date will be reviewed on an individual basis.
NOTE: Internal applicants are required to notify their manager of their application.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.